Tuesday, December 20

Shhh

I enjoy finding back-alley secrets: the discrete side of society. 
What happens "off the record" is often far more interesting than what is supposed to happen.


During the day, I get stuck in traffic that's backed up for miles as cars trudge from place to place, as people run errands they don't want to be running. But at night, I cruise around town, nothing and no one in my way, traffic lights flashing yellow, saying "Go ahead."


In the morning, I pay five bucks for a cup of coffee and a croissant. When evening comes, the guy behind the counter hands me that same coffee along with a shopping bag of free pastries as they close for the night.


During the day, I go to class and work. I put on a strong, happy exterior to power through the to-do's. At night, when no one's around, I can be me. I do what I want to do, what I love to do. Just for the hell of it.


I like staying up late, taking walks with no exact purpose, and seeing what happens (or doesn't) while the rest of the city sleeps. At that time, I can enjoy silence and stillness in the world, both of which seem unattainable during the day. 


Yet I can't decide if I'm an early riser or a night owl. Is it possible to be both? I feel anxious when I lay down, as if I'll miss out on something happening right outside my window. So in the morning, I spring out of bed to get caught up on whatever happened while I was asleep. I hope that never wears off: that childish engagement with the world around me. I see too many people become jaded all too quickly with life, growing apathetic in their twenties. There's so much to see, to do, to experience. It just doesn't make sense to stop exploring (yes, this brings a Northface ad to mind). Anyway, to summarize, I argue that the world is an endlessly fascinating place, if you take risks and investigate past what societal authorities want you to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

you thinking what i'm thinking?