Monday, December 5

frigid toes!

This weather makes me want to stay inside and write.

Weather: the state of the atmosphere at a place and time.


Ah, yes, how we love talking about the weather. It is the one immediate thing that we all have in common. It's specific, it's undeniably present, and the worse it is, the more it bonds us together. Especially in a place like Dallas, where the summer heat is so brutal that the power grid struggles to support air conditioners and where rolling blackouts occur for months, the weather is the common enemy that unites neighbors and strangers alike. When I sense that horrifying early-conversation terror that I have nothing in common with the other person and therefore nothing to say to him or her, there's the weather to my rescue. "Man, it's cold outside!" or, "You know, it's supposed to rain later today." That's genius, Miranda. What a simply effortless conversation starter you are. I suppose it's better than the dead-end "How are you," right? Eh, maybe not. 


If I were homeless, I would go south. I would just start walking until I reached a beach. There I could live the dream, lying on a beach all day and night, until a hurricane would come and carry me off to the next place. That sounds fun, though dangerous.
In all seriousness, I do want to try being homeless at some point. I mean, just for a day or so, to gain some understanding of what it's like to live nowhere and anywhere, and also to see how differently people treat you.


In fact, we should all try being homeless for a week. It would be an incredibly difficult challenge. As a young lady, I don't know that it would be the wisest decision, but it's been on my mind nonetheless. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

you thinking what i'm thinking?