Thursday, February 24

Day 13

Today I learned...that too often, thinking prevents us from doing.
How many times each day do you start to do something and then stop yourself?
There are, of course, those rare exceptions: persons who live impulsively, from moment to moment, surprising and exciting the people around them. I have encountered only three or four of such personalities, and I envy them for their ability to seemingly live without worry or fear for the future.
Most people perceive theatre majors as carefree, silly, often obnoxiously outspoken individuals: almost invariably Type B personalities. Allow me to disprove this by saying that I am the epitome of a control freak. I check my email and iCal religiously. I make to-do lists and grocery lists, check the time constantly, and remind my friends about what's coming up, to make certain that every moment of every day goes according to plan.
And yet, no day ever goes exactly according to plan.
Why do I even try?
What if, instead, I gave in to the unpredictability of nature? What if I embraced and rejoiced in the uncertainty, the possibilities of each unplanned day? I imagine waking up, bright eyed, fearful of what might happen but anxious to find out!






Taking a step back: As a student in a pre-professional program, that level of spontaneity could be dangerous. But if I could give up an ounce of control, I would probably be much happier. So, that is my assignment for tomorrow: plan as little as possible, and see what happens. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you thinking what i'm thinking?