Saturday, May 21

Get Busy Living

Supposedly, the world is going to end today. 












If you're still wondering what this is all about, this short article breaks it down: http://www.businessinsider.com/end-of-world-may-21-2011-4 
But no, I do not believe that this Judgment Day theory is true. Regardless, though, why would anyone fret about the world coming to a sudden end? That is, after all, the inevitable fact of life: if it doesn't end today, then will it tomorrow? the next day? the next?...
The most poisonous thing a person can do is sit at home, waiting for something to happen. It quickly becomes a habit, and eventually becomes a lifestyle. 
I unfortunately learned that first-hand over the past year. I turned down one opportunity after another out of fear: fear of failing, fear of spending money, fear of falling behind in school, fear of being discouraged by others. Then  one day I was sitting there in my single apartment, and literally felt as if time were standing still. It was then that I realized I had been putting off life. Sure, I was saving money and eating healthy and making great grades. On paper, my life was productive and smart. But in reality, I wasn't even living anymore. I had micromanaged every detail of every day to the point that I had lost touch with friends, and was stuck in this monotonous and joyless pattern of existence. 
Now, if ever I feel myself slipping back into that apathy and laziness, I quickly catch myself. Get out of the pajamas, set some goals, keep moving forward. Make the most of today, every day, because there is no guarantee of seeing tomorrow. 


"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." The Shawshank Redemption, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment

you thinking what i'm thinking?