Tuesday, July 19

Newest Find: Sunflower Market!

Yesterday, at the suggestion of one of my co-workers, I finally made a trip to the Sunflower Farmers Market. And I am unashamed to say, I have fallen in love with a grocery store.

I had driven past this quaint market a few times and honestly thought it looked a bit...questionable. This store is located, as the cashier so eloquently put it, "in a weird area, where if you go down Henderson one way it gets really nice, and if you go the other way it gets really sketch." But that's exactly what makes Sunflower Farmers Market so wonderful: its appeal to both markets. Sunflower's slogan describes the atmosphere perfectly: "Serious Food, Silly Prices!" Organic-loving, vegan hipsters come for the remarkably healthy selection of fresh produce, hormone-free meats, and fair-trade coffees, while average Joes enjoy their reasonable prices on everyday items. Because yes, Sunflower Market offers textured vegetable protein by the pound. But they also carry Cheerio's.
In fact, this comparatively small grocery store has just about everything: a bakery, deli, sushi bar, floral department, bulk foods (including flour, nuts, candy, beans, and coffee), frozen foods, and a great selection of beers and wines. Walking around the store, I must have looked like a child, sampling bakery treats and filling my basket with small bags of their bulk foods (including, yes, TAFFY). Each employee I spoke with was helpful and friendly, and (unlike most grocery store workers) they didn't seem to hate their jobs. Overall, my first trip to Sunflower was a total success. 
So if you like good food at good prices, check out Sunflower Farmers Market on N. Henderson Ave., right next to The Pearl Cup. As someone who lives in University Park and works in Uptown, this location on N. Henderson is super convenient! In fact, now that I have fallen in love with their saltwater taffy bar, I will definitely be making regular, post-shift sugar runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

you thinking what i'm thinking?